How To Donate Your Vehicle
Welcome Home Vets appreciates your interest in donating your vehicle to help veterans. To make the process as easy and streamlined as possible, we use the services of CARSTM.
CARSTM is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that supports Welcome Home Vets, and other non-profits, by picking up donated vehicles, then handling all the paperwork, repairs (if needed), and sale of the donated vehicle. CARSTM then takes a small commission from the sale of the vehicle. Welcome Home Vets receives the rest of the proceeds from the sale, and you get the satisfaction of helping a vet or family member access psychological care for military-related trauma and other social services needed to ease the transition from the military back to civilian life. As always, your donation is tax-deductible.
CARSTM accepts most cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RV's, motorcycles, off road vehicles, heavy equipment and most other motorized vehicles. CARSTM accepts most vehicles whether they are running or not. You will need the provide title to the vehicle, but if you own the car and do not have the title, please call CARSTM anyway. It is possible that other arrangements can be made.
Vehicle Donation Process
- Gather the information about the car you wish to donate (Make, model, year and VIN#).
- Call CARSTM toll-free at 877-600-VETS (877-600-8387) 7 days a week to speak to a representative, or visit the CARS web site and complete our online form. If you call, be ready to tell the operator that you wish to donate your car to Welcome Home Vets.
- CARSTM will contact you within 24 hours to schedule a pickup within 2 to 3 business days. If you need your car picked up sooner, let them know and they will do their best to make those arrangements.
- The vehicle will be picked up by a licensed tow company at no cost to you and will be taken to a CARSTM sale location. You will be provided with a receipt by the tow truck operator. (CARSTM has its own sales locations where they evaluate the vehicle. When it is cost-effective, CARSTM also makes major and/or minor mechanical repairs. They use auction houses to sell the majority of the donated vehicles.)
- CARSTM provides all necessary tax deduction receipts and IRS forms on behalf of Welcome Home Vets. CARSTM will provide a written acknowledgment of your car donation as soon as you donate your car—either by using the CARSTM online car donation form or by calling one of their operators. As soon as the car is sold, and if it is determined that your donated car qualifies for a deduction of more than $500, CARSTM will mail you an additional receipt and will include an IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes.